As a community supported, non-profit organizations, Phelps Memorial Health Center reinvests its earnings after expenses back into the community. We provide care to the poor and underserved through our Financial Assistance program. Other community benefits include injury and illness prevention, early detection of disease and offering social aid. All year long, the Phelps Memorial Team reaches out to the community in a variety of ways to cultivate a healthy place to live and raise families. The Phelps Memorial Foundation grants funds to non-profit organizations to serve the health and safety needs of our community. To apply for a grant, visit our Foundation page.
2015 Community Benefits Report
Phelps Memorial Foundation Funding // $50,000
- Phelps County Historical Society - $1,910 for AEDs on-site
- Bertrand Community Schools - $5,000
- Region 15 Emergency Management - $6,500
- Gosper County Sheriff's Office - $2,810
- Impact Testing - $44
- Phelps County Red Cross Bloodmobile - $2,600
- Phelps/Harlan County CASA - $2,500
- Backpack Blessings - $5,000
- Loomis Baseball & Softball - $5,000
- S.A.F.E. Center - $1,714
- Holdrege Public Schools - $2,875
- Christian Charity Fund - $5,000
- Phelps County Pantry - $5,000
- Teammates - $2,000
- Crime Stoppers - $2,000
Non-Profit Organization Community Support and Donations // $30,000
- YMCA of the Prairie
- Youth Scholarships
- Holdrege Chamber of Commerce
- Booster Clubs, Post-Proms, Yearbooks
- Holdrege Public Library
- Phelps County Ag Society
- Relay for Life
- Make-a-Wish Foundation
- Feed My Starving Children
- Alzheimer's Association
- Susan G. Komen
- Phelps County 4H Auction
Charity Care & Financial Assistance // $613,276
- Financial Assistance - It is the policy of Phelps Memorial Health Center to provide financial assistance to qualifying patients with their outstanding bills for medically necessary and emergency care provided at the hospital.
Community Educational Events
- Self-Defense Training
- EMS Decon Training
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Course
- Total Joint Arthroplasty
- Disaster and Hazardous Material Training
- RSV Program with Dr. Larry Bausch
- Compassionate Pain Care
- First Responder Training
- Chronic Disease Management
- S.T.A.B.L.E. Class
- EMS-C for Special Needs Populations
- Dr. Islam Kidney Function
- Bertrand High School CPR Training
Hosted Groups at Phelps Memorial
- Phelps County Child Care Support Group
- TRIMRS Steering Committee
- Monthly Immunization Clinic
- Nursing Leadership & Quality Improvement Task Force Meeting
- Cancer Support Group
- Ministerial Association Meeting
Maternal and Infant Health
- Prenatal Classes - The obstetrics nursing team offers Birth and Beginnings Education to expecting parents and their children. These classes entail breastfeeding awareness and education as well as what to expect when they come to the hospital to have their baby.
- Pre-Eclampsia Education - Our team attended a webinar based on pre-eclampsia preparedness to ensure appropriate care and safety for our patients.
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Presentation -
Health and Wellness
- Smoking Cessation Classes - Our Respiratory Therapy Team visits local businesses to conduct off-site smoking cessation classes.
- Team Phelps Health & Wellness Initiatives - throughout the year, Phelps Memorial participated in multiple physical events that benefited the community through monetary support including the sponsorship of the 2015 Silver Run as well as the formation of a corporate team to participate in the race.
- YMCA Corporate Membership - Phelps Memorial pays a corporate membership so our employees have proper access to living a healthy and active lifestyle. In 2015, 183 of our team members participated actively at the YMCA. Together, we accrued over 8,000 workout sessions.
- Buckle Up Initiative - Phelps Memorial participated in the 2015 Buckle-Up campaign by painting a friendly reminder at each of our driveways of the importance of buckling up while in a vehicle.
- Corporate Wellness Activities - to encourage healthy eating habits for our employees, the My Wellness Journey team selects one team member every week to win a basket of fresh produce from our community Farmer's Market.
- Exercise Across America - the Phelps Memorial Team participated in the 2015 race across America in which each member of the team tracked hours of physical activity. Miles were calculated based on hours of activity.
- Employee Health Testing - to ensure our employees remain as healthy as possible for the safety of our patients, every member of the team is required to get their flu shot or wear a mask during peak flu season!
- Colorectal Cancer Screening -
- Early Detection and Support -
- Relay for Life -
- Screening, Prevention & Genetics -
- Life-Sustaining Classes - Courses offered at Phelps Memorial include BLS Healthcare Provider training, Heartsaver CPR/AED and Pediatric First Aid training, PALS and ACLS training.
- STEMI Training -
- Cardiac Rehabilitation -
- Diabetes Education -
- EMS Training - Acute Care of the Burn Patient
- Cardiology Community Education - Dr. Timothy Gardner, Bryan Heart physician, presented education to members of the community as well as employees of Team Phelps.
- Heart Healthy Cooking Class - our Cardiac Rehabilitation team provided their patients with education on healthy cooking habits by a certified nutritionist.
- Phelps Memorial hosted XX healthcare students, including nursing, pharmacy, physician assistant, speech language pathology, medical, advance practice registerd nursing, imaging, EMT and job shadow, in 2015.
Quality Healthcare Initiatives
- Lean Process Improvements -
- Health Science Education Complex -
- Infection Prevention -
- Key Quality Indicators -
- National Security Administration -
- No Pass Zone -
Youth Safety and Education
- Second Grade Tours -
- Junior Career Day -
- Summer Honors Program -
- Safe Communities Coalition -
- Neurocognitive Baseline Testing -
- Bertrand Advanced Anatomy Class -
- Central Nebraska Area Health Education Center Summer Career Camp -
To view full annual reports follow the links below. (Adobe Reader required.)