Safety Tips For Patients
Become An Active Member In Your Health Care Team
Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
Make a list of questions for your care providers
so that you will be less likely to forget.
Make sure you can see and hear when your care providers are answering your questions. Ask a relative or friend to be with you if you think this will help you remember and understand
Make sure you get the results of any test or procedure. Ask what the results
mean for you.
Preventing Slips and Falls
If you are asked to not get up without assistance, please don't. This is for your
Make sure you can easily reach your call button, telephone and other personal items
that you might need.
Ask your nurse to make sure that your bed is in the low position.
If you are allowed to get out of bed without assistance make sure that there is a light on
and that equipment is out of your way.
If you do not have your own non-skid slippers, ask your nurse to provide you with a pair.
Preventing Medication Problems
- Make sure that all of your health care providers know everything you are taking; this
includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbs.
- Make sure your doctors, nurses and pharmacists know about any allergies that you have
experienced or any side effects that you have had to medications.
- Ask for information about your medicines in terms you can understand.
- If you think that you have missed receiving a medication, ask the nurse.
- If you are uncomfortable about receiving a medication, you have the right to refuse it.
Then make sure you discuss this with your doctor.
- If you have questions about your medications, speak with a pharmacist.