When I think of spring, I usually think about fresh strawberries and asparagus. It makes my mouth water just thinking about them! Dietary guidelines recommend that we consume five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
Here are a few reasons to eat more fruits and vegetables.
1. All fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals.
2. They add color and texture to your plate.
3. Fruits and vegetables provide us with fiber that help fill us up and keep us full.
4. Low in calories
5. Consume a variety of colors of the fruits and vegetables as each one has something important to contribute to our diet.
6. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables will help reduce the risk of many diseases, including heart disease and high blood pressure.
7. Nature’s natural treat and they are easy to grab for a snack!
8. They taste GOOD!
Here’s a parfait recipe you might want to try.
1 ½ cups strawberries, sliced
2 cups rhubarb, sliced
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup sugar
2 6 oz. containers of plain nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons honey, optional
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, orange juice, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until fruit is soft, about 10 minutes. Put the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate untl cold. About 4 hours.
- Mix yogurt and vanilla. Stir until well combined. If desire, add the honey. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, layer yogurt mixture and strawberry-rhubarb mixture alternately into parfait glasses, ending with the fruit.
Enjoy! Karen Bunnell, RD, LMNT